Celery is not on my top list of delicious vegetables, but it’s definitely one of the most underrated vegetable!
Many people assume that the crunchy green stalks are only full of water and mostly void of any real or substantial nutritional benefit. That’s far from the truth because celery is packed full of nutrients, vitamins, antioxidants, and all sorts of good stuff that our bodies need to stay healthy. In fact, you will be surprised of the enormous list of health benefits of celery.
By simply eating more celery you can bring about many positive changes in your body. For example, studies have shown that by eating celery everyday it can help to protect and strengthen your eyesight and even brighten your eyes, making them appear whiter and more clear. In effect, this also makes you look fresh faced and younger looking. Plus, the better your vision, the less you have to strain your eyes and squint.
Below is a list of the top health benefits that celery has to offer us. The accompanying video covers many of the following but be sure to check it out for even more information on why you should aim to incorporate more celery into your diet.
Eating celery can whiten your eyes, making them look brighter, tighter and much more youthful. It gives one a naturally younger look and slows the process of ageing. Now I’m sure I must have grabbed your attention!
– Vitamin A: Celery is full of vitamin A and just one large stalk of celery can deliver up to 10 percent of your daily need for Vitamin A. It is the nutrient that protects the eyes and prevents age-related degeneration of vision.
– Celery also prevents bloating. It can prevent high blood pressure and detox our whole body.
– Celery helps us in losing weight. It is low in calories with just 10 per stick and high in water which keeps the extra kilos away.
– Celery can treat bad cholesterol. Eating 2 stalks a day can reduce LDL by almost 7%.
– Celery improves digestion. Since it is abundant in water and insoluble fiber, it can regulate your stool. It has cleansing properties which rids us of excessive waste.
– Celery alleviates and provides relief from inflammation. Its rich source in antioxidants and polyphenols relieves joint pains and inflammations developed in the body.
– It is good for acne and people suffering from Asthma.
– Celery helps in the reduction of stress. Yes, you read that right! Celery is rich in magnesium, and magnesium is known to be a stress relieving mineral. It is also rich in essential oils which will soothe the nervous system and help in falling asleep.
– Celery helps in maintaining the pH levels of the body. It doesn’t let too much acidity to accumulate in the body which prevents us from getting gastric disorders.
– Now who knew that eating celery could actually improve your sex life! This innocent looking vegetable is actually rich in 2 sex pheromones i.e. Androstenol and Androstenone. These are released while chewing and will significantly improve the arousal levels.
– Celery can help in fighting against cancer. It has flavonoid known as luteolin which prevents the formation of breast cancer cells. It also inhibits the growth of cancerous cells, majorly in the case of pancreas and colorectal cancer.
– It is good for the eye health. It can help in maintaining the vision at 20/20.
So you see, there are so many health benefits of such a simple looking vegetable. Even I am astonished by this list. Another thing that you must know is that: darker the color of celery is, stronger will be the taste. If you are not so keen on the taste front, buy the lighter ones.
You can also steam the celery for best health effects. By doing this you will retain its original taste and almost 99% of its nutrients. You can also slice them while fresh and store it the fridge for later use.